What we covered in Melbourne food and drink this week
• Broadsheet’s list of the best new Melbourne bars of the year (so far) is here. Come back next week for our best new cafe picks.
• Our first look at Brunswick’s new banh mi spot, Good Days Hot Bread.
• And our first look at revered Japanese ramen chain Mensho Tokyo’s only Australian venue.
This year, gift them a dinner to remember with a Broadsheet Gift Card.BUY NOW
Mensho Tokyo Ramen. Photography: Harvard Wang.
• The latest Piccolina Gelato Project stars guest chefs making one-week-only scoops.
Photography: Courtesy of Piccolina.
• The Florian team opens tiny European-inspired cafe Juniper in South Melbourne.
• Our guide to bars screening the 2023 Fifa Women’s World Cup.
• Hotel South Melbourne puts a new spin on an old pub.
• An Aru chef is in a critical condition in a Melbourne hospital. As a temporary visa holder, she can't access Australian healthcare benefits – so her family has started a Go Fund Me to help cover the steep medical costs. Donate here if you’re able to.
• Music producer and Kenzo artistic director Nigo is Penfolds’s first-ever creative partner.
Nigo. Photography: Courtesy of Penfolds.
• Masses Bagels is popping up at the Carlton Farmers Market this Saturday.
• Chef Tom Sarafian and winemaker Jayden Ong are hosting a Persian feast in the Yarra Valley this weekend.
• Falafels, hummus, pita and more for two for just $46 with Tahina Northcote’s date-night menu.
• This week on Around Town we discuss the best restaurant, bar and cafe openings of the year (so far).
You might have missed…
• How to pair incense with food and drink.
Incense pairing. Photography: Graham Alderton.
As seen on the web
• Savoury cocktails make a comeback via Saveur.
• Different countries like different lolly textures via The Atlantic.