What’s on around town
• Fabbrica’s famed cacio e pepe sauce is being slapped on pizzas at City Oltra this weekend. Grab a slice or a whole pie, which has zucchini flowers, mozzarella, lemon zest and ricotta.
• Veuve and Woodcut: a snazzy combo for summer. Head into the Barangaroo venue’s Hickory Bar while it’s warm for a sparkly glass alongside a Moreton Bay bug roll for a cool $30, or with six oysters for $40.
• Fishbowl is teaming up with Kosta’s Takeaway in Rosebery for a superb Firday-lunch special: an OG fish sandwich. The $20 roll brings a fried fillet of shoyu-brined monkfish, Fishbowl’s house slaw, nori and pickled onion. Available from 11am, today only.
Save 20% when you buy two or more Broadsheet books. Order now to make sure they arrive in time for Christmas.SHOP NOW
• Alexandria pub The Alex is putting local artists in the spotlight with a line-up of exhibitions. Rosie Deacon’s oversized Australiana pieces – made out of everyday objects – are on show until January 31, launching with an “outdoor koala disco pool party” on Saturday November 18. There’ll be DJs, a set by Koalasize and a live FBI Radio broadcast. Register your attendance for a free taco and schooner of Modus Cerveza (or Nort).
• Vibrant local label Alemais is teaming up with Kitchenaid, with designer Lesleigh Jermanus adding her signature holiday-ready feel to the classic stand mixer and bowl – and an exclusive tablecloth. To celebrate, there's a dinner party – hosted by Julia Busuttil Nishimura and with Penfolds on pour – on Friday November 24. Tickets are on sale now.
• Kiln head chef Mitch Orr is Two Good Co’s chef of the month in November. The Darlinghurst cafe will be serving Orr’s mortadella, provolone and roasted pepper toastie, a hot’n’sour rice noodle salad and a black sesame tiramisu.
• North Bondi Fish is giving out free fish tacos and hot chips on the grassy knoll at North Bondi on Saturday October 18 from 11.30am. The summery giveaway aligns with the relaunch of its takeaway menu, which includes sashimi, poke bowls, togarashi calamari and chippies doused in malted-vinegar salt.
• Dear Sainte Eloise is inviting diners in for $49 lunches on Thursdays through Sundays. Head to the Potts Point laneway spot for the steal, which includes a snack, main and sweet finisher – like hiramasa kingfish, a sirloin and ricotta panna cotta.
• Gin Lane is celebrating springtime with a limited-edition menu together with Marrickville distiller Poor Toms. Head to the Chippendale bar for dreamy cocktails, like the Flowerpot Sour, where rosebud gin joins flowery flavours and citrus, plus pine-spruce-tip foam and edible soil.
• The Good Food & Wine Show Christmas Market is hitting Carriageworks this weekend. Across Friday, Saturday and Sunday, over 150 stalls will take over the precinct, and there’ll be celebrity chefs aplenty heading up The Festive Kitchen. Tickets are $15.
This week on Around Town we go behind the scenes at the new Art Gallery of NSW exhibit, hear from the pair behind a Marrickville gin den with plenty of pizzazz, and chat about two new cookbooks we're adding to our shelves.