Flames of the wrong sort billowed from the Mister Gee Burger Truck last Saturday as a suspected gas leak fuelled a fire that eventually engulfed the truck.

The truck was in transit, heading to trade on Parramatta Road in Haberfield, when it unexpectedly blew up. “The driver heard a loud bang, and by the time he had stopped and got to the back of the truck it was already on fire,” says the man behind the burgers Gee Ozgen.

The explosion isn’t being treated as suspicious and the likely cause is a leak from the gas bottles kept in the truck to light the grill. No one was injured or hurt, but the incident has saddened Ozgen. “It’s our first business and there’s a lot of emotional attachment to it, so seeing it burn down in front of us was just terrible.”

For now, all future burger-truck service has been suspended while a new van is organised. While it’s out of action though, Mister Gee’s burgers may be available elsewhere, although nothing is confirmed yet. Ozgen suggests watching Facebook and Instagram for updates. “We’re organising to go into kitchens and do pop-ups so that customers can still get their burger fix,” he says.

“We’re trying to put the truck back together as quickly as possible, but it’s going to take a couple of weeks. There’s been a lot of support from everyone so we’re definitely going to be back, bigger, better and stronger, as a brand.”

If you can’t wait, Ozgen has another venue, Happy Ending, in Concord.

STAY IN THE KNOW
Get our pick of the best news, features and events delivered twice a week