Mega Sydney hospitality group Merivale has announced its fine-dining CBD restaurant Est will close at the end of the year.
Details are scarce at the moment – Merivale has not confirmed whether Est will return, or if there will be a new restaurant in its place, but Broadsheet has been told further details will be announced in due course.
“After 19 wonderful years, Est will close for major renovations in 2020,” a Merivale spokesperson said in a statement. “The time is right for a change, and a shift in focus to a fresh and exciting new project within the space.” Merivale has not yet said when in 2020 it will reopen in its new guise.
Est’s last service will be on Saturday December 21. From then, Est head chef Jacob Davey and his team will work with executive chef Jordan Toft to help launch the highly anticipated new middle-level eatery at Coogee Pavilion, also owned by Merivale. The restaurant has been in the works for a number of years.
Davey took over the elegant eatery in 2018, following the retirement of renowned chef Peter Doyle, who had been the architect of the restaurant’s endless roll of accolades since 2003. Doyle now runs Merivale’s apprenticeship program.
Est’s last service will be on Saturday December 21.