Beloved Italian restaurant Bill and Toni’s caught fire early Wednesday morning. Seven News reports that unattended cooking is believed to be the cause of the blaze, which occurred in the upstairs section of the two-storey building and was brought under control this morning. The Darlinghurst restaurant was closed at the time of the fire, and a video posted by Seven shows multiple firefighters at the scene.

Around 1am, a Reddit user posted a photo and said there were more than 10 trucks, and the street had been cordoned off.

Bill & Toni's in Darlinghurst is on fire. 10+ trucks attending, blocks cordoned off to traffic. from australia

When Broadsheet visited tonight, the upstairs section was closed and the lights were off, but people were being served in the downstairs section.

Open for more than 50 years on Stanley Street, the restaurant’s humble menu hasn’t changed since opening in 1965. And the interior has in the past only undergone repainting and kitchen renovations.

Updates to come.

Get our pick of the best news, features and events delivered twice a week