There’s something wonderful about the sun coming up at the beach, especially when it’s over the waves at iconic Bondi. This weekend, the Crave Sydney Food Festival is hosting Breakfast on Bondi with stalls, entertainment (a symphony at sunrise) and all the encouragement you need to set up a picnic rug and enjoy breakfast on the beach.
But once the sun is up and you’ve finished your brekkie – weather you did it BYO or got tickets to the VIP Bill Granger breakfast – there’re plenty of reasons to stick around and make it a full day at Bondi. Don’t wait for the weather to dictate if you’re going to have a goodtime at this beachside locale. Rather, you should create an itinerary that covers all the attractions – because it’s not just about swimming and suntans. From fashion to feasting and skincare, here are our top picks for ways to fill up a full day at Bondi – after you’ve finished your breakfast of course.
Start with breakfast on the sand for Crave Sydney’s Breakfast at Bondi and then:
- Grab a coffee from Bondi Picnic. Head up from the sand to this sunny corner spot on Hall Street. Coffee is by Little Marionette, there are smiles all around and we can recommend the croissant French toast.
- Restock your picnic basket with some baked goodies from Sonoma. The Bondi cafe for the sourdough baking Mecca is in The Beach House complex and has everything from their own muesli to mouth-watering pastries. But we reckon you’d be missing out if you didn’t grab your sourdough for the week.
- Swing next door to La Macelleria, the butcher (also in The Beach House) to pick up the very best in smallgoods and organic, dry aged, grass fed meats and deli goods. Get your mince made to order, pick a chicken off the rotisserie, or pack a panini and head back down to the beach for lunch.
- If you don’t want to go as far as the sand, make a beeline for Misschu or Potato Ghetto (yep, still in The Beach House), where you’ll find lunches of big bowls of pho, steamed dumplings and Misschu’s signature rice paper rolls.
- After lunch maybe hire a Bondi Beach Cruiser and go for a cruise up and down Campbell Parade. These vintage look babies are inspired by the Bondi Beach lifestyle and you might just love them so much that you order a custom one to take home with you.
- Go for a dip to cool off after your ride, or stretch out on the grass in the cool corner at North Bondi. It’s the grassy knoll where you might find the Bondi hipsters just hanging and doing their thing. It’s opposite the North Bondi rock pool.
- Head back to The Beach House for some revitalising skin care from Aesop to sooth that sun-kiss and the sting of saltwater.
- Continue with your shopping up the hill at Porch and Parlour, where you can pick up a coffee and a bite as well as browse the eclectic gallery and store.
- Then take some time out and fill your belly at The Hill Eatery (sister to Porch and Parlour), where you can roll on into cocktails made with house syrups.
- Finally, you can finish the day with a bit of wine after you’ve dined at Chapter One Coffee and Wine Room or late night supper at Bondi Hardware.
See, Bondi isn’t just for breakfast.