Vivid Sydney has been postponed, due to Sydney’s ongoing Covid-19 outbreak and lockdown. Originally slated to begin on August 6 – just a week after Sydney’s extended lockdown is pencilled in to end – it will now run from September 17 to October 9. The festival’s launch had already been delayed due to Covid; it typically runs in early June.

“We all want to see Sydney shine through the spectacular show of creativity and innovation that is Vivid Sydney in September and October this year,” said Stuart Ayres, Minister for Jobs, Investment, Tourism and Western Sydney, in a statement. “The recent outbreak has presented a new challenge for everyone, and the health and safety of our citizens and entire event community involved in Vivid Sydney is our foremost concern.”

Ayres said the festival will only go ahead in September if it’s safe to do so. NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian flagged this morning that the current lockdown will be extended until “at least” July 30 – just a week before Vivid was slated to begin.

The new program will be finalised in the coming weeks; ticketholders will be able to transfer their tickets to the new date or request a refund.

vividsydney.com