The New South Wales government today announced a number of coronavirus restrictions will be eased, as the state recorded no new community transmissions in the past 24 hours.

In a press conference this morning, Premier Gladys Berejiklian said restrictions on weddings, schools and sports will be wound back.

She also confirmed Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks will go ahead, despite speculation they would be cancelled, adding that it will be a “toned-down affair”. She says the yearly ritual is “important for our soul and for positive thinking about next year”.

“Our strong intent is that there be some sort of fireworks display that evening. But the vast majority of us will be watching it from home on the television.”

For weddings, up to 20 members of an official bridal party will be permitted to get up on the dancefloor – previously only bride and groom were allowed to do so. And kids can have two parents or guardians at sports fields or courts, where before just one was permitted.

In welcome news for year 12 students, school formals will be able to go ahead after the HSC. Inter-school sport can resume from Saturday, and school sport will also return next term. Singing, chanting and playing wind instruments will also be allowed once more (but with conditions). Year 6 formals and graduations will go ahead, and kindergarten and year 7 orientation is back on. Excursions can also begin, as long as they adhere to strict Covid-safe guidelines.