Polly Cadden describes her creations at Future Re Made as flatpack fun without the frustration. Boasting tables made from colourful post-industrial waste also used in playgrounds, you could say her wares are made of fun.

“The tables are basically like adult Lego. There are no bolts, screws or glue, or even instructions,” Cadden says. “They’re a simple solution to everyday styling problems.”

With playful names like Terri, Monster and Tilda, all Future Re Made tables are designed and crafted in Melbourne from 90 per cent post-industrial materials, with the remaining 10 per cent composing colour, fastener and UV protection.

Gift them their favourite dining experience. The Broadsheet Gift Card can be used at thousands of restaurants around the country.

SHOP NOW

The pieces come flatpacked, ready for you to interlock, and most feature nifty little handles that make it easy to pick the finished products up and move them around. Coming in a motley of colours – including a deep liquorice, hot pink and green mist – they’re suitable for homes (and people) of all personalities.

“The tables are designed to complement each other. You might start with a Monster in green, and then get another in pink, and join them all together as your space and needs change,” Cadden tells Broadsheet. “The whole idea is that you can create your own look and feel. Future Re Made is for the individual.”

Born into a family of fashion designers, Cadden comes to the craft of furniture design after living all sorts of lives in the world of fashion styling across Europe, before finding a home again in Melbourne. Future Re Made came about like many good sustainable solutions do: from witnessing a huge amount of waste, and wanting to do something about it.

“I landed a creative director role back in Melbourne, working with big brands on huge ads and installations. There was some really cool stuff I was part of, like styling beauty tables and lipstick walls,” she says. “It got to a point where I was so sick of throwing everything out after one use.”

After Covid halted a lot of her commercial work, Cadden turned her creativity to designing lamps made from acrylic offcuts and LED lights. Playing around with perspex silhouettes led to her building a table, almost by accident. Then she found thicker sheets in incredible colours and started prototyping with a friend who has a background in joinery.

“What started as a part-time side thing has now turned into something bigger. I’m not interested in growing it to a mass-market, cookie-cutter approach, though,” Cadden says.

Pieces can be purchased via the Future Re Made website, where customers select desired colours and designs. After you’ve made your decision, it’s as simple as sending an enquiry, and then Cadden gets making.

“I’m venturing into custom-made pieces, which is so fun. I’m trying to connect with my customers as much as I can,” Cadden says.

“I deliver the pieces, and if there’s a house I love I’ll shoot the pieces in situ. All of the photos of the tables are of real rooms in real homes. I’m making sure to keep what I do slow-paced and personal.”

futureremade.com
@futureremade