How do you like your porridge? Infused with orange and spices? Topped with poached quince and mint? Or perhaps sprinkled with dried fruit compote and toasted coconut? Unlike the gruel-ish childhood memory of an insipid, lumpy substance that unappealingly slops around into your bowl, porridge has become a far more attractive dish that can shine from the menu of several Melbourne cafes.
We're talking more than a swirl of honey or simple dusting of cinnamon; these recipes use quince, goji berries, pistachios and roast rhubarb to update the traditional and inspire a hearty yet creative wintertime dish.
Whether via spiced blueberries that fruitfully decorate, vanilla bean yogurt that creamily swirls, almonds that toast to a crunch or quinoa that substitutes the glutinous oat, these ten cafes should help you bypass the poached eggs or bircher muesli to regain your passion for porridge.
1. Ici, 359 Napier Street, Fitzroy, (03) 9417 2274
Porridge with organic apple, halva, spiced blueberries, pistachio nuts and natural yogurt.
2. Cornershop, 9 Ballarat Street, Yarraville, (03) 9689 0052
Quinoa porridge with vanilla bean, maple syrup & roast rhubarb.
3. St Ali, 12–18 Yarra Place, South Melbourne, (03) 9686 2990
Slow cooked large oat porridge with poached quince, panela cane sugar, vanilla bean yogurt and mint.
4. Grigons & Orr Corner Store, 445 Queensberry Street, North Melbourne, (03) 9663 5192
Couscous porridge with coconut cream, goji berries, toasted almonds, coconut and honey.
5. Cafe Rosamond, Rear 191 Smith Street, Fitzroy, (03) 9419 2270
Organic oats served with dates, apple and cinnamon.
6. The Premises, 202 Bellair Street, Kensington, (03) 9376 7565
Porridge with cinnamon apples, candied walnut, brown sugar and Jonesy's cream.
7. Proud Mary, 172 Oxford Street, Collingwood, (03) 9417 5930
Porridge with butterscotch bananas dried fruit compote and toasted coconut.
8. Richmond Hill Cafe & Larder, 48–50 Bridge Road, Richmond, (03) 9421 2808
Cinnamon porridge with stewed apples, honey and toasted oatmeal crumble.
9. Lord Cardigan, 59 Cardigan Place, Albert Park, (03) 9645 5305
Porridge with spiced quince and apple compote.
10. Le Traiteur, 552 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, (03) 9670 0039
Semolina porridge, poached fruit and quatre épices.