An accidental fire ripped through the kitchen of The Commoner last night, forcing the Fitzroy favourite to close its doors for up to a month.

Although the restaurant was closed for ANZAC day, authorities found the fire to have originated from the oven, leaving the kitchen badly damaged and the dining areas heavily covered in soot.

Despite the setback, owner Jo Corrigan remains positive that she’ll be up and running very soon, and credits the support of the Melbourne community, investigators and police as well as her “super quality” staff to keeping her on her feet during this testing time.

“I can’t speak highly enough about the staff. The crew has been incredible, rallying together and giving each other support,” says Corrigan.

With the kitchen needing to be replaced and cosmetic re-touching required for the dining rooms, Corrigan ensures that the original spirit of the restaurant will remain the same when it re-opens, as will her close-knit team. And knowing her hearty, warming tucker is well worth the wait, we’re pretty sure her customers will be back through those doors the minute they open.