What we covered in Melbourne food and drink this week
• The city’s best new cafes of 2023.
• Chef Mischa Tropp opens Toddy Shop, a laid-back diner for home-style Keralan food, in Fitzroy.
Complete our survey for the chance to win a $1000 Broadsheet Gift Card.TAKE THE SURVEY
• First look at Malvern’s Mietta by Rosemary, a new home for sweet sensation Rosemary Andrews.
• First look at Pickles, a nostalgic (vegan) milk bar in Carlton North.
• New hire: chef Joel Baylon goes from The Moon to Castlemaine.
• Three new panini bars bring elevated Italian sandwiches to Melbourne.
You might have missed
• Canned cocktails, festive gins and more Aussie drinks to try this summer.
• This week on Broadsheet’s podcast Around Town, we hear about the city’s new crustacean haven from the D&K Live Seafood family and talk about a quintessential 1980s cocktail created in Melbourne.
• The recently reopened art deco cinema Lorne Theatre is teaming up with gelato makers Pidapipo on choc tops for the theatre’s summer season. Flavours include salted dulce de leche gelato (dipped in milk chocolate and covered in honeycomb crunch) and peanut butter gelato with a caramel swirl (dipped in milk chocolate and finished with a peanut crunch).
• Fashion brand Henne and Melissa Leong’s favourite Baker D Chirico will transform Henne’s Greville Street store into an Italian bakery throughout the holiday season. The bakery – called La Panetteria Italiana – opens today. Treats on offer include panettone and panforte (an Italian fruitcake).
• Acai bowl, smoothie and toasty chain Green Cup just opened a new store in Hawksburn Village.
As seen on the web
• Everything to know about Childish Gambino aka Donald Glover’s LA boba shop – via Eater.