We’ve started to notice a definite trend. It’s manifesting in little cakes surfacing at some of the best cafes in town.
First there was a lemon-rhubarb cake at cafe Rosamond in Fitzroy, then we spied something very similar at Brunswick East Project, followed soon after by other sightings. Flavours varied, but one thing remained constant- they tasted great. So it was no surprise to find that they were all coming from one source... Katherine Clarke of Frank, Food and Me.
Inspired by the work of Rose Carrarini and her husband at Rose Bakery in Paris, she wrote to Rose, volunteering her time for a chance to learn from the team. Then, with her baking skills developing everyday, she devoted her downtime to learning the principles of the Slow Food Movement.
Bring it all back to Melbourne, combine the two and you get Frank, Food and Me- turning out those delectable cakes.
“Advocacy for Slow Food, promotion of Australian farmers, and the handing down of food heritage are areas I am passionate about expanding further into.” She says with conviction.
Pointing out that she holds a regular stall at the Slow Food Melbourne Farmers’ Market so that she can get to know her customers personally and spread the Slow Food word.
“I can talk with the customers, point out the actual person that grew that orange, blueberry or rhubarb, and the man that collects the eggs. It proves to the customer that what they see is really what they get.” She says.
So keep an eye out, because if you come across these products you can guarantee a few things; they’re based on locally grown and sustainable products, made from recipes that have been handed down from “Grannies, Grannies, Grannies, and mums, and mums friends…”, and they taste great- watch out for the pear, pistachio and rosewater variety.
Cakes from Frank, Food and Me are available at:
• Cafe Rosamond, Rear 191 Smith St, Fitzroy
• Mixed Business, 486 Queens Parade, Clifton Hill
• The Auction Rooms, 103-107 Errol St, North Melbourne
• Outpost, 9 Yarra St, South Yarra
• Smallblock, 130 Lygon St, Brunswick East
• Sensory Lab, David Jones, 297 Little Collins St, Melbourne
• North Cafeteria, 717 Rathdowne St, North Carlton
• Wall 280, Rear 280 Carlisle st, Balaclava
• Amsterdam St Cafe, 1 Amsterdam St, Richmond
• Padre, South Melbourne Market, Coventry St, South Melbourne
• Brunswick East Project, 438 Lygon St, Brunswick East