As the Melbourne International Comedy Festival enters its last days, it’s time to honour the best in show. This morning, Barry Humphries took to the Spiegeltent stage and announced the shortlist for the eponymous Barry award, as well as the shortlist for Best Newcomer.
The Barry Award
Named after Melbourne’s most enduring comedy voice, this is the big one. Previous winners include Sam Simmons, Sammy J, Ross Noble and the Mighty Boosh.
On this year’s shortlist, Zoe Coombs Marr is nominated for Trigger Warning, a show that picks apart the psyche of her misogynistic alter ego, Dave; Tom Ballard is nominated for two shows, including his furious political statement Boundless Plains to Share; and Irish musical-comedian David O’Doherty is nominated for We Are All in the Gutter, but Some of Us Are Looking at David O'Doherty.
Here’s the full Barry shortlist:
• Anne Edmonds – That’s Eddotainment
• Damien Power – Sell Mum Into Slavery
• David O'Doherty – We Are All in the Gutter, but Some of Us Are Looking at David O'Doherty (IRL)
• Luisa Omielan – Am I Right Ladies?! (UK)
• Rhys Nicholson – Bona Fide
• Tom Ballard – The World Keeps Happening and Boundless Plains to Share
• Zoe Coombs Marr – Trigger Warning
The festival is full of total newbies playing tiny rooms and tiny crowds. These four are going places, including assured young Kiwi comics Guy Montgomery and Rose Matafeo; 2013 Raw Comedy winner Demi Lardner; and the admirably absurd Tom Walker.
• Demi Lardner – Life Mechanic
• Guy Montgomery – Guy Montcomedy (NZ)
• Rose Matafeo – Finally Dead (NZ)
• Tom Walker – Beep Boop
The awards will be announced on Saturday April 16. You’ve still got a week left to catch these class acts at the festival – book before everyone else knows about them too.
The 30th Melbourne International Comedy Festival is on now until April 17.