After a car hit and killed three pedestrians and injured 20 others in Bourke Street Mall this afternoon, moving to and from the city tonight will be difficult.
With Bourke Street closed between William and Swanston Streets, bus and tram routes are dealing with widespread delays. Trains, which are running as scheduled, are your best bet when it comes to public transport around the city tonight.
“Bus routes travelling via the city are currently experiencing major delays and diverting around the area,” said Jake McLaughlan, a Public Transport Victoria spokesperson.
“We currently have no time frame for when delayed public transport systems will be back in place,” said Thomas O’Byrne, from Victoria Police.
For now, these are the service changes affecting bus and tram networks. To stay up to date, follow Public Transport Victoria on Twitter.
Public Transport Victoria has advised that the following tram routes have been affected: 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 11, 12, 16, 19, 48, 55, 57, 59, 64, 67, 72, 86, 96 and 109.
Service changes for Bourke Street trams
• Route 86 and 96 trams in both directions are diverting via La Trobe Street.
Service changes for Elizabeth Street trams
• Route 19 is operating between North Coburg and Stop 5 Elizabeth Street/Melbourne Central Station.
• Route 57 is operating between West Maribyrnong and Stop 5 Elizabeth Street/Melbourne Central Station
• Route 59 is operating between Airport West and Stop 5 Elizabeth Street/Melbourne Central Station
Service changes for Swanston Street/St Kilda Road trams
• Routes 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 16, 64, 67 and 72 are operating in two sections, with no trams along Swanston Street and St Kilda Road between Stop 5 Swanston Street/Melbourne Central and Stop 14 St Kilda Road/Arts Centre
Service changes for Collins Street trams
• Route 12 and 109 trams in both directions are diverting via La Trobe Street
• Route 11 trams are operating between West Preston and Stop 7, 101 Collins Street
• Route 48 trams in both directions are operating between North Balwyn and Flinders Street West via Flinders Street
• A limited shuttle service is operating between Victoria Harbour Docklands and Southern Cross Station
Additional service changes
• Route 55 is operating in two sections with no trams between Market Street and Queensberry Street
• Route 605 is operating only between Gardenvale and Olympic Boulevard/Alexandra Avenue
• Routes 200, 207, 250 and 251 are operating between northern/eastern suburbs and Queensberry Street. Customers can catch services towards northern and eastern suburbs from bus stops at Lygon Street/Queensberry Street and Lygon Street/Rathdowne Street
• Routes 216, 219 and 220 are diverting via Spencer Street, Dudley Street and Wurundjeri Way
• Routes 232, 235 and 237 are operating between South Melbourne/Altona/Port Melbourne and Southern Cross Station
• Routes 234 and 236 are operating between Garden City and Flinders Street, diverting via Market Street and Queens Bridge Street.
• Routes 302, 304, 305, 309, 350 905, 906 and 907 are operating between the eastern suburbs and Victoria Parade/Gisborne Street. Customers can catch outbound services at stops along Victoria Parade and Hoddle Street