A hazardous gas leak at 424 Sydney Road, Coburg has led to an emergency warning being issued for the surrounding area.

At 12.15pm on Sunday, Vic Emergency said the leak, which is spreading towards Victoria Street Mall, is extremely dangerous and no one should enter the area.

Anyone located between Bell Street, Rodda Street, Harding Street and Hudson Street is advised to move inside immediately.

Those in the affected area should also bring pets inside, close all doors and windows, turn off all heating and cooling systems, and close all vents and fireplace flues. If you live in the area but are travelling, do not return.

If you experience any symptoms that could be related to exposure, seek medical advice or call Nurse on Call on 1300 606 024. Anyone experiencing wheezing, chest tightness and difficulty breathing should call 000.

Find the full emergency warning here.