Brisbane is grappling with tough new restrictions on gatherings after nine new cases of coronavirus were recorded in Queensland overnight. Six of the new cases have been tied to the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre at Wacol, after a supervisor tested positive for Covid-19 earlier this week.
In response to the cluster, strict new restrictions apply with immediate effect on gatherings in Southeast Queensland, with gatherings outdoors and in homes limited to 10 people. Brisbane, Ipswich, Logan, the Scenic Rim, Lockyer Valley, Moreton Bay and Redlands are all affected by the new restrictions. The rest of Queensland is now limited to gatherings of no more than 30 people.
Venues that operate under a Covid Safe plan, including restaurants, bars and cafes, are not affected by the new restrictions. That includes venues operating under a Covid Safe Industry Plan, a Covid Safe checklist, Covid Safe Site-Specific Plan or a Covid Safe Event Plan.
Save 20% when you buy two or more Broadsheet books. Order now to make sure they arrive in time for Christmas.SHOP NOW
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced the new measures at a press conference on Saturday morning. She said more information would be released throughout the day with details on the recent movements of the new cases.
“As we get that information we will absolutely be letting the community know,” she said.
The three cases unrelated to the Wacol centre are linked to cargo ships off the coast of Townsville.
Update: An earlier version of this story stated that venues operating under a Covid Safe Industry Plan are not affected by the new restrictions. In fact, venues that operate under any Covid Safe plan are not affected. That includes venues operating under a Covid Safe Industry Plan, a Covid Safe checklist, Covid Safe Site-Specific Plan or a Covid Safe Event Plan. The story has been changed to reflect this.