Helios Brewing is a fully solar-powered microbrewery in Brisbane’s south, designed by three environmental engineers who share a passion for two things: environmental sustainability and good craft beer.

From the ground up, Scott Shomer, Tony and Jayne Rutter designed their Yeerongpilly brewery to be as energy, water and waste efficient as possible. It’s powered by 59 solar panels and a 15-kilowatt inverter, with around 60 per cent of the energy produced being used in-house and the other 40 per cent fed back into the grid.

The sustainability doesn’t stop there. The brewery uses local businesses wherever possible: Yeerongpilly contractors assisted in the fit-out and the malt comes from a Capalaba supplier, rather than being imported from overseas. It also makes use of an electric van for events and delivery runs, which is charged using solar power generated in-house. In 2021, Helios was recognised as Brisbane’s most sustainable business, taking out the Lord Mayor’s award in the environmental sustainability category for its ongoing efforts.

In keeping with the name (Helios is the Greek god of the sun), all beers are named after mythological figures. Head brewer Charlie Hodgson and his team produce six core brews, including the Poseidon Pale Ale and Hades’ Bitter Chocolate Stout, plus a range of seasonal styles. The brewery’s annual dark beer release is named after Kronos, the Greek god of the harvest.

Helios’s downstairs area holds the brewing operation and a timber bar. Upstairs is more spacious, with a large seating area and board games for kids. A giant mural of Helios himself emblazons the main wall. There’s no kitchen, so different food trucks are brought in every night.

Contact Details

Updated: November 4th, 2021

We do not seek or accept payment from the cafes, restaurants, bars and shops listed in the Directory – inclusion is at our discretion. Venue profiles are written by independent freelancers paid by Broadsheet.