Website Terms and Conditions of Use
By accessing or otherwise using this website (Website), you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions of Use. This Website is owned and operated by BM IP Pty Ltd as trustee for the BM IP Trust (ABN 81 135 170 116) (Broadsheet Media, we, us, our). The Broadsheet Media website is operated on behalf of Broadsheet Media and its related entities (together “The Broadsheet Media Group”). You acknowledge that Broadsheet Media provides access to the Website to you subject to these Terms and Conditions of Use.
Products and Services
- Parts of this Website may enable you to purchase products (Products), submit or upload content (such as reader reviews) (User Content) or subscribe to a data service (a Service). You cannot purchase any Product, submit any User Content or subscribe to any Service available on this Website until you are a registered as a subscriber to this Website.
- In order to access certain areas of the Website or (if you are a business owner) to claim your business listing, you will need to create an account. You must be at least 18 years of age, and provide your details in accordance with the instructions on the Website. If you are claiming a business listing, you must be the business owner or an authorised employee or agent of the business owner in order to claim the listing.
- Upon acceptance of your registration by Broadsheet Media, you will be issued a user name and password in order to use the Website or claim your business listing. Broadsheet Media may refuse to register any person as a subscriber without giving a reason for such refusal. See section 28 re privacy.
- You may also access certain areas of the Website by logging in with your social media account (such as Facebook). If you choose to log in via your social media account, you confirm that you are the owner of the account. The Broadsheet Media Group may collect certain personal information via your social media account (such as your email address, your public profile information (including your profile picture), your location, date of birth and any places that you’ve liked or checked in to, and any other information that you consent from time to time to provide to us).
- You are responsible for ensuring that all information provided to The Broadsheet Media Group is accurate and up to date, and you must update your information as necessary in order to keep it accurate.
- If you are claiming a business listing, then you acknowledge that you are bound by these Terms and Conditions of Use, warrant that you are the owner or authorised employee or agent of that business, and will defend and hold The Broadsheet Media Group harmless from any loss arising from your actions. You must not impersonate someone else, create multiple accounts or business listings (other than as permitted by Broadsheet Media), or provide or use false information to obtain access to a business listing.
- Broadsheet Media may suspend or terminate your account if you have breached these Terms and Conditions of Use multiple times, or if (in our absolute discretion) you commit a very serious breach.
Your passwords and account security
- Access to parts of the Website, including those enabling you to purchase Products or subscribe to a Service, is password protected. If Broadsheet Media issues you with a password, you must memorise your password or store your password in a safe and secure place. Do not disclose your password to anyone.
- You agree and understand that you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of passwords associated with any account you use to access the relevant parts of Website. Accordingly, you agree that you will be solely responsible to The Broadsheet Media Group for all activities that occur under your user name or other account details.
- If you become aware of any unauthorized use of your password or of your account, you agree to notify Broadsheet Media immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You understand and agree that all material (excluding User Content), information and data (such as data files, written text, computer software, audio files, photographs, or other images) accessed or used by, or provided to, you through the Website (the Website Content) comprises the intellectual property of Broadsheet Media or any relevant third parties from whom The Broadsheet Media Group may license that Website Content.
- You must not modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute or create derivative works based on any of the Website Content (either in whole or in part) unless you have been specifically told that you may do so by Broadsheet Media or by the owners of that Website Content, in a separate agreement.
- You understand that by using the Website you may be exposed to Website Content that you may find offensive, indecent or objectionable and that, in this respect, you use the Website, including obtaining and using any information, products and services, at your own risk.
- Reviews of businesses submitted by registered users of the Website are the opinion of the respective authors, and are not necessarily reflective of the views of The Broadsheet Media Group. We will not mediate disputes between business owners and registered users. If a business owner disagrees with a review published by a registered user, the business owner should, in an effort to resolve the issue, publish a comment in reply to the user’s review. If a business owner believes that a registered user’s review contradicts these Terms and Conditions of Use, please contact us at email@example.com and provide full details including the nature of the disagreement. Broadsheet Media may (in our sole discretion) remove the post in question, if we agree that a breach of these Terms and Conditions of Use has taken place.
If you are a business owner you covenant and agree that:
a) The Broadsheet Media Group is a platform service provider;
b) to the maximum extent permitted by law, The Broadsheet Media Group will not be liable or responsible for any comments or reviews posted on the Website by anyone;
c) any issue or potential legal claim arising from, in relation to or connected with comments or reviews posted on the Website must be resolved between you and the person who has posted or made the comment or review;
d) you release The Broadsheet Media Group from any claims, liability, demands, loss, causes of action, suits and costs arising from or connected with any comments or reviews posted on the Website including without limitation any comments or reviews negative to your business and/or which you believe are untruthful or unreasonable.
e) the provisions of these Terms and Conditions of Use (and in particular this clause 15) may be pleaded by The Broadsheet Media Group as a complete bar and defence to any claims, liability, demands, loss, causes of action, suits and costs arising from or connected with any comments or reviews posted on the Website.
- Unless otherwise indicated, all intellectual property in the Website is owned or licensed by Broadsheet Media. Subject to these Terms and Conditions of Use, Broadsheet Media grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited licence to view, download and use information directly accessible through the Website (Licence).
- You agree that, subject to your use of the Website in accordance with the limited Licence granted to you, you will not modify, copy, republish, frame, distribute or communicate any part of the Website or any information contained in it or otherwise use the Website in a way which will embarrass, defame, offend, or infringe on the intellectual property or other rights of Broadsheet Media or any other person.
- Any of the trademarks, service marks or logos displayed on the Website may be registered or unregistered marks (Marks) of Broadsheet Media or third party owners. Nothing contained on the Website should be construed as granting any licence or right to use any of the Marks displayed on the Website without the express written permission of Broadsheet Media. Any unauthorised uses of the Marks are strictly prohibited.
- Except as provided by law, the Website is provided "as is" and without any warranty or condition, express or implied.
- The Broadsheet Media Group does not warrant that the information contained in or accessible through the Website is accurate, suitable for your purposes or without errors, omissions or viruses. The Broadsheet Media Group does not guarantee continuous, uninterrupted or secure access to the Website. You acknowledge that access and use of the Website (including the software operating in connection with the Website) may be interfered with by numerous factors outside of Broadsheet Media's control. The Broadsheet Media Group does not warrant the accuracy of any advice, opinion, statement, representation or other information displayed on or accessible through the Website.
- Subject to the provisions of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth), The Broadsheet Media Group makes no guarantees, representations or warranties in respect of the information and materials available on the Website or the means of accessing that information and material (including the software operating in connection with the Website). The Broadsheet Media Group makes no warranty or representation and accepts no responsibility for any websites operated or controlled by entities other than Broadsheet Media which are or may become linked or framed to or from the Website.
Use of User Content
a) is defamatory, fraudulent, unlawful, threatening, intimidating, harassing, harmful, hateful, abusive, tortious, vulgar, obscene, invasive of another's privacy, sexist, racist, homophobic, violent, degrading;
b) infringes anyone else’s rights (including intellectual property rights);
c) impersonates another person or entity, attempts to solicit personal information from another user, contains sexually explicit language or images, advertises or promotes the sale of products or services such as firearms, tobacco or alcohol, adult products and services and any other products or services Broadsheet Media considers to be inappropriate;
d) contains spam, chain letters, pyramid and other such selling and marketing schemes, computer viruses, computer code, files or programs or other harmful components that are designed to interrupt, destroy, change or limit the functionality of the Website or any other computer software, hardware or other electronic equipment, information which in any way impinges on another user's use or enjoyment of the Website or otherwise breaches or encourages other users to breach these Terms and Conditions of Use;
e) violates any law, statute or regulation;
f) forges information to disguise the origin of any User Content; or
g) encourages or incites any other person to engage in any of the above behaviour.
- You grant to The Broadsheet Media Group a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sub-licensable right to use the copyright you have in any User Content, in all media now known or not currently known. By submitting User Content, you also consent to any dealings with your User Content that may otherwise infringe your moral rights. The Broadsheet Media Group may copy any User Content, cause it to be seen and/or heard in public, and communicate it to the public. We may also allow third parties to do these things.
- You can edit any User Content you submit via the Website. If you wish to delete some or all of your User Content, send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Users, in generating User Content, using any community forum, or interacting with other Users or the public in any way via the Website or our App, must at all times comply with any Community Guidelines that may be published by Broadsheet Media from time to time.
- The Broadsheet Media Group encourages intelligent conversation and welcomes questions, comments and debate on the Website and its social media platforms. As an organisation that supports many industries, from food and wine to fashion and entertainment, we focus on constructive contributions, and will not provide a forum for trolling, abuse or personal attacks of any kind. We value the opinion of our readers, but will distinguish between comments that contain constructive, relevant arguments and those that are abusive, offensive or could be construed as an attack. We expect all users to consider the impact of their words and take responsibility for them. If we decide any User Content breaches your obligations under clause 22 or is not in keeping with the spirit of these Terms and Conditions of Use or any Community Guidelines, we may remove it.
- If you see an interaction on the Website, or Broadsheet Media’s Facebook or Twitter accounts that concerns you, please let us know via email@example.com.
Limitation of Liability
You agree that, to the maximum extent permitted by law, The Broadsheet Media Group is not liable to you or anyone else for any loss or damage (including, without limitation, any direct, indirect, special or consequential loss) arising as a result of breach of these Terms and Conditions of Use, in tort (including negligence) or otherwise arising out of, or in connection, with:
a) the use of the Website;
b) the use by The Broadsheet Media Group of information provided by you to The Broadsheet Media Group through the Website;
c) being unable to access the Website for whatever reason and however arising, including (without limitation) negligence; and
d) the use of your Website password by you or any third party to whom you have made the password available.
Subject to the Competition and Consumer Act 2010, The Broadsheet Media Group expressly limits its liability for breach of a condition or warranty implied by virtue of any legislation to the following remedies (the choice of which is to be at Broadsheet Media's sole discretion):
a) in the case of goods, any one or more of the following:
i) the replacement of the goods or supply of equivalent goods;
ii) the repair of the goods;
iii) the payment of the costs of replacing the goods or of acquiring equivalent goods; or
iv) the payment of the costs of having the goods repaired; and
b) in the case of services:
i) the supply of the services again; or
ii) the payment of the cost of having the services supplied again.
You indemnify The Broadsheet Media Group against any action, liability, claim, loss, damage, proceeding, expense (including legal costs) suffered or incurred by any members of The Broadsheet Media Group, arising from, or which is directly or indirectly, related to:
a) your breach or non-observance of any term of these Terms and Conditions of Use; or
b) any breach or inaccuracy in any representations or warranties made to The Broadsheet Media Group.
Terminating your relationship with the Broadsheet Media
- These Terms and Conditions of Use will continue to apply until terminated by either you or Broadsheet Media as set out below.
- If you have a registered account via the Website and want to terminate your relationship with Broadsheet Media, you may do so by notifying Broadsheet Media in writing. User Content you have on the Website or our App will not be removed automatically on termination or deactivation of your user account. You may at any time write to Broadsheet Media to request that we remove your User Content from the Website or our App.
Broadsheet Media may, at any time, terminate its legal agreement with you if:
a) you have breached any provision of these Terms and Conditions of Use or have acted in manner which clearly shows that you do not intend to, or are unable to comply with the provisions of these Terms and Conditions of Use; or
b) Broadsheet Media is required to do so by law (for example, where the provision of products and services to you through the Website is, or becomes, unlawful).
- If you breach any provision of these Terms and Conditions of Use, Broadsheet Media may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend or permanently prevent your access to all or certain parts of the Website.
- Nothing in clauses 33, 34, or 35, above, interferes with Broadsheet Media’s rights under clause 23 of these Terms and Conditions of Use.
- You must not establish links on any other website to the Website or any other part or parts of the Website without the prior written consent of Broadsheet Media.
- Broadsheet Media may alter any of the content on the Website at any time.
Amendment of Terms and Conditions of Use
- Broadsheet Media may amend, add to or remove any part of these Terms and Conditions of Use at any time without notice. You should periodically read these Terms and Conditions of Use. Your continued use of this Website or any product or service obtainable through the Website after any such change to these Terms and Conditions of Use constitutes an agreement by you to abide by and be bound by these Terms and Conditions of Use, as amended.
Choice of Law and Use of the Website
- These Terms and Conditions of Use are governed by the laws of the State of Victoria, Australia. The Broadsheet Media Group has designed the Website for use only within the Commonwealth of Australia and makes no warranties or representations with regard to use by persons accessing, downloading or otherwise using the Website outside the Commonwealth of Australia. The Website is available only to people in Australia who can form legally binding contracts under applicable law.
Commission and Fees
- In certain cases, The Broadsheet Media Group may have a relationship with a third party whose website is linked to this Website. That third party may pay The Broadsheet Media Group either a commission or a referral fee where you buy products from them based on a percentage of the gross payment received by that third party from you. The commission and referral fees are normally payable by those third parties on a monthly or quarterly basis, in arrears.
Broadsheet Italian Cookbook Promotion
Conditions of Entry
By participating in the BROADSHEET ITALIAN COOKBOOK PROMOTION (the Promotion), each participant fully and unconditionally agrees and acknowledges that these terms and conditions are binding.
The promoter is Broadsheet Media Pty Ltd (ABN 20 131 593 201) of Level 1, 231 Smith St, Fitzroy, VIC, 3065, trading as Broadsheet (Promoter).
The Promotion commences at 09.00am on Tuesday 23 October 2018 AEDT and closes at 11.59pm on Friday 30 November 2018 AEDT (Promotion Period).
Entry is open only to Australian citizens or permanent residents currently residing in Australia, who are over 18 years of age and have an Instagram account.
How to Enter
To enter this Promotion, entrants must:
Purchase the Broadsheet Italian Cookbook (Book); Prepare a recipe from the Book; Post a photograph of the dish they have prepared from a recipe in the Book to their Instagram account, tag the Promoter’s Instagram page @broadsheet_melb (the Page), and using the hashtag #ciaobroadsheet; and Ensure their photograph or account is set to public viewing so that their photograph can be identified as an entry for the Promotion.
Entrants must retain their original purchase receipt (Proof of Purchase) to verify their purchase. Multiple entries are permitted, provided each entry is for a different recipe from the Book and is submitted separately in accordance with these Conditions of Entry.
Entrants can only enter in their own individual capacity and from an Instagram account which they hold in their own name. The use of automatic entry software, mechanical or electronic devices that allows an individual to automatically enter the competition is prohibited and may render all entries submitted by that individual invalid.
Entries are received at the time of receipt by the Promoter and not the time of transmission by the entrant.
Employees (and their immediate families) of the Promoter and any of the agencies or organisations associated with this Promotion are not eligible to enter.
Entrants are required to take full responsibility for the content of their entry and for ensuring that their entry complies with these Conditions of Entry. For the purposes of these content requirements, “entry content” includes any content (including text, drawings, designs, images, files, photos, videos and email messages) that entrants submit, upload, transmit, publish, communicate or use in connection with their entry into the Promotion.
Incomplete and ineligible entries will be deemed invalid. Entries will also be deemed invalid if they breach these Conditions of Entry as determined by the Promoter in its sole discretion or any other content guidelines notified by the Promoter during the entry process for the Promotion.
Entries must be the entrant’s original work. The Promoter reserves the right to verify, or to require the entrant to verify, that the entry is the entrant’s original work. If an entry cannot be verified to the Promoter’s satisfaction, the entry will be deemed invalid.
An entrant’s entry must not include:
any content that contravenes any law, infringes the rights (including, without limitation, any copyright, trade mark, patent, moral right or other intellectual property right) of any person or is obscene, offensive, defamatory, discriminatory, indecent or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate (which includes, without limitation, any content involving nudity, malice, excessive violence or swearing); or any literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, any audio-visual or sound recording, or any other item in which copyright subsists, unless the entrant is entitled to do so. If an entrant has any doubts about whether they have the right to include any content (for example, recorded music) they must not include it. By including any such content in their entry, the entrant warrants that they have the permission of the relevant copyright owner to do so and that this permission allows the Promoter to use the entry in accordance with these Conditions of Entry.
The Promoter may, in its absolute discretion, edit, modify, delete, remove or take-down any part of an entrant’s entry if deemed offensive or otherwise non-compliant with these Conditions of Entry. By submitting an entry to the Promotion, each entrant grants the Promoter a perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, transferrable and sub-licensable licence and right to use, reproduce, edit, modify, publish, and communicate to the public all information, material, and intellectual property (including, without limitation, any works or other subject matter in which copyright subsists, and any images, designs, trade marks, patents, or trade secrets, and any associated rights) contained in or constituting that entry in connection with the Promotion. By submitting an entry, each entrant consents to any dealings the Promoter or its sublicensees may have with the entry content under the foregoing licence that may otherwise infringe their moral rights (including rights of attribution and integrity or against false attribution).
Four winners will each receive one voucher to the value of $250 (RRP incl GST) to a restaurant (of their choice) which is featured in the Book. Prizes are valid until the date stipulated on the voucher, and are subject to the terms and conditions specified by the prize providers (ie, the restaurants chosen by the winners), which will be notified to the winners at the time of providing the prize. The total prize pool is $1,000 (RRP incl GST).
Prize values are correct at the commencement of the Promotion. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any variation in prize value following the commencement date. The prize is non-transferable, non-refundable, cannot be sold, exchanged for cash or redeemed at a later date. In the event for any reason a Winner does not take an element of the prize by the time stipulated then that element of the prize will be forfeited by the Winner and no cash (or other alternative) will be supplied in lieu of that element of the prize. However, the Promoter may reallocate an unclaimed prize or any portion thereof to the next best entry, in its sole discretion.
The Winner is responsible for all other expenses not included in the prize description, including travel costs associated with attending their chosen restaurant in order to redeem their prize, and any cost over and above the value of the voucher.
It is a condition of accepting a prize that the winner agrees to participate in and cooperate with all reasonable media editorial requests, including but not limited to, being interviewed, photographed and filmed and the winner grants the Promoter a perpetual, non-exclusive licence (if applicable)to use, and continuously releases and indemnifies the Promoter from and against any use of, such footage and photographs in all media worldwide, and the winner will not be entitled to any fee for such use. The inclusion of any such footage or photographs (including but not limited to creative control of the feature) will remain with the Promoter at all times.
It is a condition of accepting a prize that the winner must comply with all the conditions of use of the prize and the prize supplier’s requirements.
Entries will be judged by a judging panel comprising representatives of the Promoter. Entries will be judged on originality, creativity and the best visual execution of a recipe from the Book. This promotion is a game of skill and chance plays no part in determining the winners.
Judging of all entries received during the Promotion Period will take place at Level 1, 231 Smith St, Fitzroy, Victoria 3065 at 9am on Monday 3 December 2018 AEDT. The judges will judge all complete, eligible entries received during the Promotion Period in accordance with the judging criteria. The best four (4) entries, as determined by the judges, will be declared provisional winners.
Provisional winners will be notified via a comment on their entry within 2 business days of judging, and will be provided with information on how to claim their prize. If requested by the Promoter, entrants and provisional winners must provide:
proof of identity, proof of age and proof of residency to verify their entry (Proof of Identity). Identification considered suitable for verification is at the Promoter’s discretion; and their Proof of Purchase, to the Promoter, to verify that the relevant prize should be awarded. If, in the opinion of the Promoter, Proof of Purchase has been shared between any entrants, those entrants’ entries may be deemed invalid and they will lose any right to a prize. If an entrant/provisional winner fails to provide Proof of Identity and/or Proof of Purchase by the time and date stipulated by the Promoter, their entry/prize claim will be deemed invalid at the Promoter’s discretion.
The Promoter’s decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
If a provisional winner cannot be contacted or does not reply to the Promoter’s post within 30 days of receipt, the Promoter may (in its sole discretion) disqualify their entry and name the next best entry provisional winner in their place.
Once a provisional winner is deemed by the Promoter to have complied with these Conditions of Entry, they will be declared a winner and the Promoter will deliver the prize (to the address provided during the verification process) within 28 days of the winner’s entry being verified and accepted.
The Promoter takes no responsibility for an incorrect address being provided when entering the promotion or during the notification and verification process, and (once dispatched) the Promoter is not liable for any prize that has been lost, stolen, damaged or tampered with in any way.
The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any problems or technical malfunction of any communication network or for any late, lost, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, delayed, illegible, corrupted or misdirected entries, claims or correspondence whether due to error, omission, alteration, tampering, deletion, theft, destruction, transmission interruption, communications failure or otherwise.
The Promoter has no control over telephone communications, networks or lines and accepts no responsibility for any problems associated with them, whether due to traffic congestion, technical malfunction or otherwise.
The Promoter is not liable for any consequences of user error including (without limitation) any costs incurred.
The Promoter may, at its sole discretion, declare any or all entries made by an entrant invalid, and prohibit further participation by an entrant in this Promotion, if the entrant: Fails to verify their personal details and/or eligibility to enter the Promotion to the Promoter's satisfaction; Tampers with or benefits from any tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Promotion; Submits an entry which in the Promoter's opinion is not in accordance with these Conditions of Entry; Acts in a disruptive manner or with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person; or Engages in conduct in entering the Promotion which in the Promoter’s opinion is fraudulent, misleading, deceptive or generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of the Promotion or Promoter. This includes where entrants share receipts or product labels to enter the Promotion or where entrants use multiple names or addresses to register multiple entries.
All entries will be the property of the Promoter (excluding intellectual property rights, other than as expressly set out in these Conditions of Entry) and will not be returned.
If for any reason any aspect of this Promotion does not run or is not capable of running as planned, including by reason of infection by computer virus, network failure, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any cause beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Promotion, the Promoter may in its sole discretion cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Promotion, or invalidate any affected entries, subject to applicable law.
Entrants acknowledge that there may be inherent risks in some aspects of the Promotion or the prize and that participation in the Promotion or the prize may involve participating in dangerous activities. By entering this Promotion and/or accepting the prize, entrants accept that risk for themselves.
The Promoter and associated agencies and companies shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with any prize/s except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any tax implications that may arise from the prize winnings. Independent financial advice should be sought. Where the operation of this Promotion results in, for GST purposes, supplies being made for non-monetary consideration, entrants agree to follow the Australian Taxation Office’s stated view that where the parties are at arm’s length, goods and services exchanged are of equal GST inclusive market values.
The Promoter’s decisions in relation to the Promotion are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Personal Information and Privacy
Privacy Officer Level 1, 231 Smith St Fitzroy, VIC 3065
Last updated: October 2018