South Australia will further relax venue capacity limits when the state moves into stage-three easing of restrictions on Monday June 29, Premier Steven Marshall announced in a press conference today.

This means the four-square-metre rule will be replaced with a two-square-metre rule, which is expected to bring relief to many small bars and restaurants.

He stressed there is still a requirement for every business in SA to have a covid-safe plan in place.

“Higher-risk activities” such as larger events and nightclubs will be considered after a “comprehensive covid management plan” has been put in place and approved by SA Health and the state Transition Committee.

Moves to lift all domestic travel restrictions will continue as planned, including opening our border with Victoria, which has had a significant spike in cases in the past week. But Marshall said health officials would continue to watch the evolving situation in that state.

“We will not be opening our border to Victoria unless we’re absolutely satisfied we won’t be going backwards from a health perspective.”

The state border opened to Queensland, Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory last week.

Yesterday WA Premier Mark McGowan announced his state’s border closure would remain in place until phase six – which has no set date. “Right now, it would be irresponsible of me to earmark that date,” McGowan said.

More to come.