South Australia enters a seven-day lockdown at 6pm tonight, following reports of a fifth local case of Covid-19.

“We have confirmation in the last half hour that this is the Delta variant we’re dealing with here in South Australia. For those reasons, we’re extremely concerned about developments,” Premier Steven Marshall said in a press conference this morning.

The fifth case linked to the current cluster dined at The Greek on Halifax on Saturday, at the same function as a previously reported case. For the growing list of exposure sites visit SA Health.

From tonight, there are just five reasons to leave home:

  • for care and compassionate reasons;
  • for essential work;
  • for the purchase of essential goods such as food;
  • for medical reasons, including vaccinations and testing;
  • for exercise, limited to people from the same household.

Schools will close, as will the construction industry.

“We hate putting these restrictions in place, but we believe we have one chance to get this right,” Marshall said.

More to come.