On a trip to Sydney, Marrickville’s Cornersmith cafe show us a thing or two about making the perfect two-cheese and pickle toastie.
This toasted sandwich of two cheeses (homemade labneh and slices of sharp vintage cheddar) and a pickle is simple, completely unfussy yet, at the same time, wonderfully refined. It’s comforting and just a little bit fancy, and a perfect lunch to whip up on a lazy weekend afternoon.
Cornersmith’s Two Cheese and Pickle Toastie
- 2 slices rye bread
- homemade labneh (see recipe below)
- slices of vintage cheddar
- Cornersmith cucumber pickles
Spread labneh on one side of rye bread and top generously with quality, crunchy pickles. Top the pickles with slices of vintage cheddar, keeping the pickles in between the two cheeses (if the pickles are against the bread your toastie will be on the soggy side). Finish your sandwich with the second slice of rye. Toast between two sheets of baking paper, until the cheese has melted and the sandwich is warmed through. Serve with some simply dressed greens, and enjoy!
To Make Labneh…
- 1 tub good quality natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp salt
Mix salt into the yoghurt with a spoon. Place a colander inside a bowl, so that any juice is captured, and line the colander with a sheet of muslin. Spoon the yoghurt into muslin.
To make labneh you need to remove the whey (liquid) from the yoghurt. There are two ways to do this:
- Fold the corners of muslin inward to cover the yoghurt. Place in the fridge, making sure the colander is placed inside a bowl to catch the liquid that will be released overnight. Make sure you empty out the bowl of collected whey every now and then so the cheese is not sitting in liquid.
- Gather the corners of muslin into a bag and tie together. Hang a few inches above a bowl in the fridge or over the sink (if the weather is not too hot). Leave to hang for 24 hours or so and then unwrap the muslin. At this stage you may flavour your labneh with herbs or spices if desired. Spoon into a jar or container with a lid and refrigerate. Homemade labneh will last up to two weeks.
Tues to Fri 6.30am–3.30pm
Sat & Sun 7.30am–3.30pm